The origins of the bodega go back to 1859, when Savignon Frères & Cie set up in Haro as they fled from the ravages of phyloxera, which blighted French vineyards at the time. In 1901, a group of Bilbao businessmen purchased the winery and created the Bodegas Bilbaínas company.
Viña Pomal was the creation of Don Santiago de Ugarte, co-founder of Bodegas Bilbaínas and the company's first Managing Director. The first label seen bearing Viña Pomal as a brand belongs to a 1904 Vintage Special Reserve (a truly exceptional year).
Although they would later merge as a single brand, 1904 saw the birth not only of Viña Pomal, but also of Castle Pomal which, produced for the British market, reveals the importance then and now, of the brand's international presence. It is of note that only the Castle Pomal label showed the arms of the Spanish Royal Family, to which the winery was official supplier of wine.